Students were evacuated from the 500 building of the Edgewood Park Apartment complex this morning after a gas leak was discovered.
Students were asked to leave just after 8 A.M. when the leak was found on the outside of the building. Donald Moore, senior vice president of Facilities and Operations, said that the gas began to leak after an employee struck a pipe that was sticking out of the ground with his lawn mower.
“It was a pipe that was previously thought to have been abandoned, but because our staff heard some gasoline escaping and smelled something they did the right thing and went in and pulled the fire alarm and notified the proper authorities,” Moore said.
South Jersey Gas made the repairs on the spot, and Moore said they also inspected other areas as well before allowing students back into the building about 45 minutes after being evacuated.
While Moore said there more than likely won’t be any cost to the university, they are looking into ways to prevent this from happening in the future.
“We may decide to invest in some upgrades to ensure that those other pipes won’t be hit by our staff,” Moore said.
No injuries occurred because of the gas leak, and Moore said the area is now safe.
For comments/questions about this story, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @thewhitnews.
11,907 total views, 10 views today